20100310

NO sauce for me please

Sauce on the Side
Yesterday I watched the film Food Inc. It was one of the most shocking and frightening films I have ever seen. If you haven't seen it go rent it. If you have seen it, I hope you are making some changes in the way you think about food. I already eat a relatively healthy diet compared to much of America but I need to take it even further.
For instance, I learned that in 1950 it took 68 days for a chicken to grow to the size where it could be butchered. Now we raise our chickens to twice that size in only 47 days. The chickens have been '"remodeled" to have bigger breast for our white meat loving society and most are so misshapen they can only take a few steps before toppling over. Does that seem like something we should eat?
(image from ethicurean.com)
I learned that cows should eat grass but are fed corn for a variety of financial and political reasons. This causes the cow to produce a type of e.coli that is super resistant to antibiotics. When cows were put back on a grass diet the amount of e.coli in their stomachs reduced 80% in only 5 days. Why again are we not feeding the cows grass?
I guess what I am saying is that you should educate yourself. What I learned is that the big companies don't want us to know where our food is coming from and what is actually in it. Don't we have the right to know?
On a lighter note...

The girls are both taking steps on their own now. Any day now pandemonium will erupt. I am trying to enjoy the peace while it lasts. However, sometimes quiet is not a good thing. The girls were quiet today....too quiet... and then I saw them sitting in the hallway in a pile of snacks. They had worked as a team to reach through the baby gate, open the diaper bag, retrieve the snack can , open said can and dump out all the cheerio-type treats inside. They were feasting.

I overslept this morning. Yup. Been waking up at 5:30 since July but this morning I just turned that alarm off and rolled back over. Woke up at 5:57 and shot out of bed like a rocket. I usually leave for work at 6 am. In my craziness I managed to be in the car by 6:05. I am wonder woman! I just wish it was acceptable for my hair to look like Mckenna's.

This Sunday it rained all day long. Which is highly unusual in Arizona. I was going to walk the dogs and go to church but the downpour killed all my motivation. Instead I watched way too much TV all day long. At one point it even started hailing and the dogs hid in the shower because they were afraid of the noise. Oh my constant protectors....

So there you have it. A few things to giggle at and a few things to be afraid of. I am multifaceted aren't I? Please share with me things that you have done to get your family or yourself on the track to healthy foods. By which I mean foods that are themselves grown or raised to be healthy plants or animals, not just "good for us". Have a great day!

0 comments: